Sunday, June 21, 2009


We are six days away from the wedding of my son. He's chosen a precious young lady with whom to spend his life and they both love the Lord with all their hearts. She is already a part of our family and we welcome our new "daughter."

It's normally an emotional time for me, having walked through the weddings of my two daughters in years past. I know what to expect but this seems different. This time I am the Mother of the Groom. This time I'm planning only the rehearsal supper. This time it's my baby boy - that cute blonde bundle of energy that came into our lives 23 years ago. Something in my heart just wants to hold him close just a little while longer, spend a little more time with him, or watch him play another ballgame. But it's actually happened - he's grown up to be a awesome young man with dreams and visions for his life. A life that he will share with Amy. Their sights are set on serving God in whatever way He designs.

The old song "Sunrise, Sunset, swiftly go the years....." is so appropriate for me, yet it's not a sad time. We have raised our children for such a time as this. It's a precious thing - to release them into their God-given destinies like arrows shot to hit the mark. Yes, I've made mistakes in parenting but God is merciful. My children came from Him first and He has been right with them each step of the way.

As with my daughters, our relationship with our son has changed from parent/child to friend/friend. That takes some effort on my part to remember that! They are my adult children but they are also my friends, my brother and sisters in Christ.
Am I afraid of having an empty nest? Not at all. Fly, little birds, fly into the purpose and plan God has for you!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful idea and you should. Maybe I will soon, find a spot in my day not so busy!

    I love you Sis!

    ReplyDelete